Having a washer and dryer in your home is a convenience most appreciate and do not take for granted. But we rarely think about maintenance on our appliances, until we have a problem. . According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires in homes are caused by dryer vents. The lint and other debris builds up in the dryer vent, reducing air flow, and backing up the dryer exhaust gases. The unexpected result is a dryer fire.
Chim Chimney is dedicated to reducing fire hazards in your home, not just with our regular chimney maintenance and repairs, but also our thorough and affordable dryer vent services. We recommend having your dryer vent professionally cleaned once a year, but here are some signs that it might be time to give us a call:
- It is taking longer to dry your clothes than usual. When your dryer vent is clogged, you may find that your laundry isn’t drying in the normal amount of time. Dryer vents are designed to push hot, moist air out of the home, but when blockage occurs it may take your clothes two to three times the normal cycle to dry. This extra drying time may cause additional wear and tear on your dryer and adds to your electric bill each month.
- Your laundry and outside of the dryer are extremely hot! If your clothes are nearly too hot to touch after the drying cycle, it is a clear sign that your dryer is overworked and your dryer vent is not exhausting properly.
- Your dryer smells musty. Smell mildew? When the hot air and moisture cannot escape, the dampness is trapped causing a musty odor.
- You notice a burning smell. Lint is extremely flammable and builds up in the exhaust tube. If it gets too hot, it causes a burning smell and you are not far from a potential house fire.
- You notice excess lint in the lint trap. When the tube is clogged, the lint has nowhere to go and will build up in the machine itself.
- You see a vent hood malfunction. If your duct hood flap is not opening as it is designed to do, you will notice lint buildup on the outside of your home.
Don’t risk the safety of your home and family when Chim Chimney is just a call away for all of your dryer vent service needs!