Spring is a great time of year to complete some simple tasks to keep your home running smooth all year long. Here are some home maintenance tips for spring that will increase the efficiency of your home, and help keep your family safe.
- Clean your gutters. Poor or improper draining causes major damage over time, particularly debris is causing water to dam up under your roof.
- Inspect your roof. Once winter is over, get on your roof and look for signs of warping, cracking, or loose shingles.
- Check the seals around your windows and doors. Harsh winters can crack caulk, leading to leaks from a rainy spring, and a higher air-conditioning bill in the summer.
- Inspect your chimney and fireplace. If you used your fireplace during the winter, spring is the perfect time to have it professionally inspected and swept so you are ready for the first cold snap in the fall.
- Change out the batteries in your smoke detectors when you change your clocks in the spring and fall. This simple task is a potentially lifesaving one.
- Repair and cracked or peeling paint on your house. It will not only make your house look nicer, but it will protect your home from the elements.
- Clear debris and vegetation from around your AC compressor. The unit needs unobstructed airflow to function properly.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils. Dusty coils cause your refrigerator to work harder.
- Drain your water heater. Draining the water heater once a year will prevent the build up of sediment in the bottom of the tank and allow for more efficient heating.
- Inspect your appliances. A washing machine fill hose crack can become a leak and cause significant damage before it is caught. Having your dryer vent professionally cleaned will improve the performance of the dryer and potentially prevent a house fire.
Chim Chimney inspects and sweeps chimneys, and inspects and cleans dryer vents. Make us part of your annual spring maintenance schedule and keep your family safe all year long.